|Title:||Sketch map of Sussex and Surry counties, Virginia|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversize folder C)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of a manuscript map on glazed fabric of Sussex and Surry Counties, Virginia, 116 X 32 cm. Entries include farms, mills, schools, churchs, and bridges besides the more typical geographical entries of rivers and swamps. Some examples of entries are: Dr Overtons Mill, depot, Bolling bridge, Fairview Academy, Birdsong's Mill, Cypress Church, and Sykes Store.|
When the first English settlers sailed up the James River in 1607, they first landed on the south side of the river in present-day Surry County, Virginia. These settlers went on to establish the first English settlement in the New World on Jamestown Island. Within two years at least two forts were built in the area. Surry County was formed in 1652 from a portion of James City County and was named for the English County of Surrey.
Following the American Revolutionary War, Surry County became part of the new Commonwealth of Virginia. During the American Civil War, the Confederate Army had units called the Surry Cavalry and the Surry Light Artillery.
Adjacent to the southwest of Surry, Sussex County had begun to see settlers prior to 1700, when people began to move south of the Blackwater River. Sussex County, Virginia was formed in 1754 from the part of Surry County that was south of the Blackwater River; it was named after Sussex County, England.
Sketch map of Sussex and Surry counties, Virginia. MS 979. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.