|Creator:||Putney, F. F.|
|Title:||Hardaway General Store|
|Quantity:||2.4 Linear feet (2 volumes in 2 oversized boxes)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of two manuscript ledgers of a General Store, run by Francis Flagg Putney, in the Dougherty County, Georgia. Entries cover the years from 1894-1896. They list individual names, items bought, and price. Products include tobacco, coffee, bridles, linen, chicken, matches, lamps, shoes, gloves, potatoes, nails, calico cloth, thread, mulch, powder, crackers, rice, soda, salt, lard, sugar, corn, flour, soap, dough mix, oranges, butter, kitchenware, limes, etc. He seemed to sell meat, tobacco, and soap in particular. Putney also listed jobs completed for him in his ledgers, who completed the job and how much their pay was. Putney put work-pay mixed in with his store sales, listing them either as "job" or "# d. work."|
Francis Flagg Putney was born in 1837 in New Hampshire and fought on the Union side in the Civil War. He was a Union veteran who had moved to Dougherty County, Georgia, in 1865, from New England. He became a rather successful planter in the South. He married a Massachusetts woman in 1866, and, after her death a year later, he remarried in 1897. He had no children. Putney was unique in the time period for treating his black tenants and customers fairly. F.F. Putney was a witness and a victim of the Camilla Massacre of 1868, when he was an important Republican leader in the area. He represented Doughtery County in the state legislature in 1870 to 1872.
After the Civil War, Francis Flagg Putney ran a general store, a gin, a grist, and a saw mill. He owned an enormous amount of land (supposedly 27,000 acres) and managed a very successful cotton plantation which employed many tenants. Hardaway was located on the Flint River, 8 miles south of Albany, and the train station on Putney's property. In 1886 Hardaway had a population of 75, and received mail daily. Most of the residents in the area were Putney's employees, both black and white.
He also became a railroad agent for the S. F. & W. Railway in the 1910s. By 1910, he had became a judge and donated a considerable sum of money to Ladies Hospital Aid Society of Albany to establish a hospital for that area. He remained in the South the rest of his life after moving there in 1865. He died in 1928, as an incredibly wealthy landowner in south Georgia.
Hardaway General Store. MS 913. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.