|Creator:||Pond, William F.|
|Title:||Wilkinson County indentures|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 898 - MS 900 in same document box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of two fairly standard indenture documents, the first "entered into this twenty first day of December 1832 between Simeon Adams and William Cooper", and the second "entered into the twenty ninth day of September 1834 between William Cooper and William F. Pond." Both were signed and sealed in Wilkinson County, and concern the sale of land in Cherokee County, and Walker County.|
Wilkinson County, near the geographic center of Georgia, was established in 1803 from territory between the Oconee and Ocmulgee rivers ceded by the Creek confederation. The Georgia state legislature divided the area into Wilkinson and Baldwin counties. A later treaty, which pushed the frontier of Georgia west to the Ocmulgee River, added land to the earlier portion and gave rise to the need for smaller county areas. The legislature then partitioned Laurens and Telfair counties from Wilkinson and established their boundaries in 1807. Two years later Twiggs County was created from Wilkinson. The county was named for General James Wilkinson, a veteran of the American Revolution (1775-83) and one of the federal commissioners who negotiated the Creek cessions. Its landscape rises approximately 400 feet above sea level at its highest point and covers almost 450 square miles, making it the forty-third largest county in Georgia. The seat is Irwinton, established on May 11, 1816, and named for three-term Georgia governor Jared Irwin.
Cherokee County, in northwest Georgia, was formed from Cherokee Indian Territory in December 1831, after the discovery of gold in the region in 1828. In December 1832 the area was divided into ten counties-Cass (Bartow), Cherokee, Cobb, Floyd, Forsyth, Gilmer, Lumpkin, Murray, Paulding, and Union-and in 1853 Pickens County was formed from the northern part of Cherokee and the southern part of Gilmer counties. The Cherokee Indians were gathered into such settlements as Fort Buffington, east of Canton, before being driven out on the Trail of Tears for present-day Oklahoma in 1838-39. The removal of the Cherokees opened up the new territory for agricultural uses, especially the cultivation of cotton and corn, the mining of gold and marble, the making of moonshine, the manufacture of cotton and rope, and the construction of both a railroad in 1879 and a highway for shipping goods.
Walker County, in northwest Georgia, is the state's ninetieth county and comprises 447 square miles. Its northern border is shared with Tennessee. The county was created in 1833 from Murray County and named after Major Freeman Walker, an Augusta lawyer and U.S. senator. In later years Dade (1837), Chattooga (1838), and Catoosa (1853) counties were each formed from parts of Walker County. In 1859 land from Walker was transferred to Whitfield County.
Wilkinson County indentures. MS 898. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.