|Creator:||Frederick, James D., 1827-1899|
|Creator:||Hays, Louise Frederick, 1881-1951|
|Creator:||Washingtonian Temperance Society of Franklin College (Ga.).|
|Title:||James D. Frederick family papers|
|Quantity:||2.4 Linear feet (10 volumes in 2 oversized boxes)|
James D. Frederick (1827-1899) was a Civil War soldier and farmer. He was born in South Carolina and moved to Marshallville, Georgia in 1832. Frederick married Medora Keene; they had a child Louise Caroline (Hays) (1881-1951) who was an archivist and clubwoman, born in Marshallville, Georgia.
The collection consists of papers of James Daniel Frederick and the Frederick family from 1844-1899, 1942. The bulk of the collection consists of diaries and account books of James D. Frederick. The diaries (1844-1856 and 1873-1899) contain entries describing Frederick's student life at the University of Georgia, a few minutes and the constitution of the Washingtonian Temperance Society of Franklin College, and entries pertaining to crop conditions, weather, and farming practices for Frederick's farm in Marshallville, Macon County, Georgia. Entries for the period 1873-1889 are sparse and usually are recorded once a year. The account books (1873, 1875-1878, 1880-1882, and 1888-1892) include occasional notes but mainly record items purchased for operating the farm.
The collection also contains a diary (January - April 1882) of Eugene Frederick pertaining to the operation of his farm; a typescript of THE KEENE FAMILY containing photographs, genealogical charts, and clippings; and the original mockup for THE RUMPH-FREDERICK FAMILIES including correspondence, photographs, clippings, and genealogical charts. The genealogical material was collected by Louise Frederick Hays.
Cataloged as part of the Georgia Archives and Manuscripts Automated Access Project: A Special Collections Gateway Program of the University Center in Georgia.
James D. Frederick family papers, MS 79. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries.
Given by the descendents of James Daniel Frederick via Felder Frederick in 1958 and a second donation in 1966 via Lucy Booten Frederick Forbes, wife of W. T. Forbes.