|Title:||Clarence L. Jordan papers|
|Quantity:||13.6 Linear feet (32 document boxes, 1 half box, 3 oversized folders A, 3 oversized folders B)|
Clarence Jordan (1912-1969), a white Southern Baptist minister, cofounded Koinonia Farm in Sumter County and translated many New Testament books into the "Cotton Patch" versions, colloquial interpretations set in the American South. Jordan committed his ministry to racial reconciliation and economic justice. A gifted preacher and teacher, he was a popular and frequent speaker at progressive religious gatherings across the United States from the 1940s through the 1960s.
Koinonia was the Christian farm community that Jordan and his wife Florence co-founded in 1942. It is considered to be the birthplace of Habitat for Humanity, among other charities.
For more information, see the article "Clarence Jordan (1912-1969)" in the New Georgia Encyclopedia.
The collection consists of letters, pictures, clippings, manuscripts, programs, printed materials, notes, file cards, and other materials concerning the life, career, and writings of the late Dr. Clarence Leonard Jordan, founder of Koinonia Farms, an agricultural missionary enterprise, and inter-racial community. The early letters, largely from Clarence Jordan to his mother, are most revealing as to the character of the man. The many clippings and printed materials about Clarence Jordan and Koinonia also give insight into the community life, and the programs indicate the wide demand for Dr. Jordan as a speaker. The collection also includes the manuscripts, both written and typed, with annotations and/or corrections and revisions of many of Dr. Jordan's writings, particularly the Cotton Patch versions of the Gospels.
The collection is arranged into folders but for the most part it has been described at container level.
Arranged into five series: Series 1. Correspondence; Series 2. Personal papers and manuscripts; Series 3. Koinonia; Series 4. General; and Series 5. Oversized material.
Clarence L. Jordan papers. MS 756. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.