|Title:||Washington-Wilkes County, Georgia collection|
|Quantity:||0.08 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 705 to MS 711 housed together in 1 document box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of articles concerning the history of Washington, Wilkes County, Georgia and biographical material about some of her citizens.|
Washington, the seat of Wilkes County, is located in the Piedmont region of east central Georgia. About fifty-five miles northwest of Augusta and forty-three miles east of Athens, Washington has a land area of almost eight square miles. According to the 2000 U.S. census, the population was 4,295. Reputedly the first place in the United States named for U.S. president George Washington, the community was originally called Heard's Fort after the family that settled it in 1773. The town was incorporated in 1805. Washington claims more antebellum homes than any other city of its size in Georgia. Among them is the home of Robert Toombs, former U.S. senator and Confederate cabinet officer, congressman, and general. The Toombs House dates from 1797 and is a state historic site. The Semmes-Colley house, built about 1838, was where the first Catholic Mass in Washington was celebrated in 1853.
Arranged in chronological order.
Washington-Wilkes County, Georgia collection. MS 711. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.