|Creator:||South Georgia and Florida Railroad.|
|Title:||South Georgia and Florida Railroad contracts|
|Quantity:||0.03 Linear feet (1 folder housed with minor collections MS 619 to MS 637)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of contracts pertaining to the building of the South Georgia and Florida Railroad (sic- probably refers to the Georgia South and Florida Railroad) from 1868-1869. The contracts involve cleaning, grading, grubbing, furnishing lumber, cross ties, building bridges, trestles, way stations, and depots. Included are contracts between the railroad and Papot and Co., H.O. Beall, H.A. Scott, Isaiah Dekle, Johnson and Hurst, Walker and Bryan, McKinnon and Chisholm, and D.G. McGuire.|
The Georgia Southern and Florida railroad had its early beginnings in 1870s when investors purchased land. The GS&F was chartered in 1885 to build a railroad from Macon, Ga. to Palatka, Fla., over a distance of 285 miles. The line was opened between Macon and Valdosta in February, 1889 and completed to Palatka in March of the following year. In 1895, it was reorganized as the Georgia Southern and Florida Railway under the control of the Southern Railway. The line’s nickname was the Suwanee River Route.
Cataloged as part of the Georgia Archives and Manuscripts Automated Access Project: A Special Collections Gateway Program of the University Center in Georgia.
South Georgia and Florida Railroad contracts, MS 622. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries.