|Creator:||White Oak Presbyterian Church (Coweta County, Ga.).|
|Title:||White Oak Presbyterian Church records|
|Quantity:||1.0 folder (1 reproduction of a manuscript)|
The White Oak Settlement, Associate Reformed Presbyterians, bought a log church called "Smyrna" from the Methodists, but at that time they could not be supplied with a pastor of their own denomination, so, with some members of the Southern Presbyterian Church living among them, they applied to that church for a minister, and the Flint River Presbytery ordered Reverend J. Y. Alexander, stated supply of the Newnan church, to organize their church. This he did October 21, 1837 with the name "The White Oak Presbyterian Church." The charter members were: Robert Russell, James Thompson, Arthur Carmical, James Young, James Miller, Samuel P. Evans, Thomas Holinghead, Robert Wadel, John McLure, Mary Russell, Mary Atcherson, Elizabeth Thompson, Esther Young, Margaret McLure, Mary Evans, Margaret Wadel, Isabella Holinghead. The temperance question divided the White Oak Presbyterian Church, composed as it was of two separate branches of the Presbyterian faith. Each secured a pastor and continued to use the same building, having different preaching days. The Associate Reformed branch called Rev. Thomas Turner to serve them; J. Y. Alexander continued as the pastor of the regular Presbyterians there as well as at Newnan.
The collection consists of a reproduction of the manuscript church minutes of the White Oak Presbyterian Church in Coweta County, Ga., from 1837-1871. These records contain minutes of the sessions of this particular church, which includes names of members, those who joined and those who left, children who were baptised, and those who died.
White Oak Presbyterian Church records, ms 595. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Patrons may not photocopy collection.