|Title:||Election tally sheet from Louisville, Jefferson County, Georgia|
|Quantity:||0.08 Linear feet (1 folder housed with minor collections MS 449 to MS 471)|
Louisville, the county seat of Jefferson County, also served as Georgia's third capital from 1796 until 1807. The town grew as the result of both large-scale immigration to the Georgia upcountry after the American Revolution (1775-83) and the desire of many Georgians to enhance the state's commercial prosperity. By the mid-1780s the new upcountry settlers outnumbered those in the older coastal counties, and upcountry legislators demanded a state capital in a more western location than Savannah. On January 26, 1786, the assembly passed a law appointing Nathan Brownson, William Few Jr., and Hugh Lawson as commissioners charged with finding a site for the seat of government. Legislators also specified that the new capital would be named Louisville in honor of King Louis XVI of France, America's Revolutionary War ally.
The collection consists of a tally sheet of election held in Louisville, Ga. in 1853 for Governor, Congress, General Assembly, and Judge of Middle District Superior Court. It lists candidates and the number of votes received.
Election tally sheet from Louisville, Jefferson County, Georgia, MS 471. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.