|Title:||International Monetary Conference clippings|
|Quantity:||1.2 Linear feet (3 document boxes)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of several hundred newspaper clippings covering the period from March - May, 1946, re the International Monetary Conference held in Savannah. This was a meeting of financial and diplomatic experts seeking to organize a multi-billion dollar International Monetary Fund and International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (or World Bank, as it is now called). This meeting in Savannah was the first meeting since the Bank was officially organized on paper, December 27, 1945.|
The International Monetary Conferences were a series of assemblies that were first held in the second half of the 19th Century and continued well into the 20th century. The purpose of the meetings was to establish an International Monetary Fund and International Bank for Reconstruction and Development. The Fund and Bank (later known as the World Bank) function to promote international monetary cooperation, expansion of international trade and stability of exchange, to assist in establishment of multilateral system of payments for transactions between members and to permit members, under certain conditions, to draw upon resources of Fund for specified purposes. By the 1946 Conference 38 countries had become members. The conference was held at the General Oglethorpe Hotel, Wilmington Island, off Savannah from March 8 to 22, 1946. In attendance were 300 delegates from many countries in the world.
Arranged in chronological order.
International Monetary Conference clippings, 1946. MS 44. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.