|Title:||William Austin letter|
|Dates:||1848 September 20|
|Quantity:||0.02 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 393 to MS 413 housed together in 1 document box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of a letter from William (?) Austin to "Brother James", Col. James Austin, of Lawrenceville, Ga. The letter is dated Campbellton, Ga., Sept. 20, 1848. In the letter, Austin wants to go into business, preferably in some other town, maybe "go west" in a year or two. A typescript copy of the letter is also included.|
Campbellton was founded as the county seat of Campbell County around 1830. Campbellton had a couple thousand residents until Fairburn grew after the opening of the railroad. A Civil War battle was fought nearby (soldiers buried at a Methodist Church). By the 1870's the county seat moved to Fairburn and led to the disintigration of the town. Campbell County went bankrupt in the Depression and was consolidated into Fulton County.
Austin, William letter. MS 407. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.