|Creator:||Athens Ladies Memorial Association (Athens, Ga.).|
|Title:||Athens Ladies Memorial Association collection|
|Quantity:||0.02 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 393 to MS 413 housed together in 1 document box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of a manuscript listing the objects of the Ladies Memorial Association.|
The Athens Ladies Memorial Association was a reorganization of Soldiers' Aid Society after the War Between the States ended (1865). The Association was formed to perpetuate the memory of "those who fell in Southern defense," and when funds were available, to raise lasting monuments in memory of the Confederate dead. Laura Rutherford served as the organization's first president until her death in 1888. Laura Rutherford began the work of raising funds to erect a monument to the Confederate dead of Athens. The monument, which now stands on E. Broad Street, was unveiled June 3, 1872, erected at a cost of $4,444.44, and originally placed on College Avenue near City Hall.
Athens Ladies Memorial Association collection. MS 403. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.