|Creator:||Jeruel Academy (Athens, Ga.).|
|Title:||Jeruel Academy girls' dormitory drawing|
|Quantity:||0.5 Linear feet (1 box)|
Jeruel Academy was founded in 1881 in Athens, Georgia at Landrum Chapel (Ebenezer Baptist Church, West) by the Reverend Collins Henry Lyons. In 1886 a new facility was constructed at this site, now on the University of Georgia campus. Here black youth were taught college preparatory courses in English, Greek, Latin, French, history, mathematics, public speaking, agriculture, sewing, cooking, music and printing. In 1924 the school consolidated with three other institutions to become Union Baptist Institute. The institute was dissolved and the building demolished in 1956 following desegregation and consolidation of the local public schools.--Retrieved from GeorgiaInfo.com 13 September 2013.
The collection consists of one drawing on paperboard depicting the front facade of the proposed girls' dormitory at Jeruel Academy.
Jeruel Academy girls' dormitory drawing, ms 3813, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.