|Title:||William B. Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport blueprints|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversized folder A)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of airport blueprints including interior sketches and exterior plans.|
In 1925, Atlanta Mayor Walter Sims committed the city to develop an air field out of an abandoned auto racetrack. The property was renamed Candler Field after Coca-Cola tycoon and former Atlanta mayor Asa Candler. By the 1930s, it was the third busiest airport, after those in New York and Chicago. In 1946 Candler Field was renamed Atlanta Municipal Airport and by 1948, more than one million passengers passed through the terminal building. On May 3, 1961, a new $21 million terminal opened. It was the largest in the country and was able to accommodate over six million travelers a year. The new airport was stretched past its capacity the very first year when nine and half million people passed through.
In January 1977, construction began on the present midfield terminals A-D. The airport was renamed William B. Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport after the Atlanta mayor William Berry Hartsfield. This was the largest construction project in the south, costing $500 million.
This collection is in the original order.
William B. Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport blueprints, MS 3647. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Library.