|Title:||Wilcox-Lumpkin Insurance Company Ledgers|
|Quantity:||25.0 Linear feet (23 ledgers, 1 document box)|
The Wilcox-Lumpkin Insurance Company was founded in 1848 and is still in business today. The company is located in Columbus, Georgia. It was officially established by Frank G. Lumpkin, Jr. and has remained in the Lumpkin family. The company has been run by male descendents since Frank passed away.
Frank G. Lumpkin Jr. was born in 1910 and died in 2000 at the age of 90. Lumpkin was on the original UGA football team that dedicated Sanford Stadium in 1929. He served in the United States Army under George Patton in World War II as a lieutenant colonel.
Sometime in the 2000s, the Hutchinson-Traylor Insurance Company acquired the Wilcox-Lumpkin Insurance Company. It is still presided over by Frank Lumpkin.
This collection consists of 23 ledgers and an assortment of other materials, including correspondence, a photograph, floor blueprints, and bank statements. These range from the 1850s to 1950s, though the bulk seems to be from the 1880s to 1920s. The entire collection is very business-oriented and reveals almost nothing about employees or executives of the company. Instead, the insurance policies and financial records of clients are kept attentively for these several decades. However, the information is not as meticulous as it could be, and it appears that other ledgers may be missing.
This collection also includes four Myrtle Reed books owned by Annie Lumpkin. These are all in excellent condition and are first and second editions from 1902-1916. They are all bound in lavender silk, which indicated Myrtle Reed's entrance into the romance novel industry.
Ledgers arranged chronologically. Other material arranged by record type.
Wilcox-Lumpkin Insurance Company ledgers. MS 3626. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, the University of Georgia Libraries.