|Title:||Franklin House Hotel renovation plans (Athens, GA)|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversized folder C)|
|Abstract:||Collection consists of renovation plans for the Franklin House Hotel in Athens, GA from the year 1977. The 32 architectural documents include elevations, details, plans, and sections.|
The Franklin House was built between 1845 and 1860, and is also called the Old Athens Hotel and the Athens Hardware Company building. The Franklin House remains standing today; it is a three-story brick historic building on East Broad Street in Athens, Georgia. It served initially as a hotel called the Mitchell House and was maintained by William Mitchell, a Board of Trustees member for the Univeristy of Georgia. Later, the ground floor became a coommercial front for businesses, while the upper levels were used for hotel space. The hotel portion closed in 1865. The building then survived a fire in 1871, which caused significant damage to several floors.The Franklin House was occupied and used by the Athens Hardware Company from 1865 to 1972 - 107 years. Around the 1970s, the building was deemed unstable, and there were plans to demolish it. However, with renewed attention and fundraising, the building was soon listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in the 1980s, it was restored and renovated into office space. In 1990, the Franklin House was designated as a Historic Landmark.
Franklin House Hotel renovation plans. MS 3562. Hargrett Rare Books and Manuscripts Library. University of Georgia Libraries.