|Title:||Cobb County, Georgia letter|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 portfolio)|
Cobb was one of nine northwest Georgia counties carved out of Cherokee Indian country in 1832 and today is part of the booming Atlanta metropolitan area. It was named in memory of U.S. senator Thomas W. Cobb of Greensboro. The county seat, Marietta, was chartered in 1834. Located in the upper Piedmont, Cobb County never had many large landholdings, developing instead around small subsistence farms. The greatest wealth was in the towns. Before 1932 the thriving industrial center of Roswell was part of the county. In the antebellum era Marietta became a popular resort community. Near the Western and Atlantic Railroad, a sanitarium and several hotels catered to summer visitors seeking a cooler, healthier climate than that of the Georgia and South Carolina coast. During the Civil War (1861-65), General William T. Sherman led an invading Union army from Chattanooga, Tennessee, toward Atlanta, as part of the Atlanta campaign. The last mountain range north of the city was in Cobb County. At the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain (June 27, 1864), the Union assault failed to dislodge Confederate forces from their entrenched positions. Nonetheless, a part of the Union force outflanked the Confederates, forcing them to abandon the mountain, as they struggled to stay between Sherman and Atlanta. Union forces occupied Marietta on July 3, 1864. New Georgia Encyclopedia - Cobb County http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1275 (Retrieved November 29, 2010)
The collection consists of a partial letter from an unknown man in Cobb County, Georgia to "Brother Kenneay." The letter begins on April 19, 1853 and is continued on April 20. The man states that he is satisfied with his home in Cobb County after leaving South Carolina. He has bought 800 acres and lives seven miles Southwest of Marietta, Georgia. He mentions Brother Hinton, Esquire Darby's plantation, planting cotton, a visit back to Chesterville, South Carolina, and several preachers, churches, and schools in the area.
Cobb County, Georgia letter. MS 3480. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.