|Creator:||Camak, James, 1795-1847|
|Creator:||Georgia Railroad and Banking Company.|
|Creator:||King, John Pendleton, 1799-1888|
|Creator:||Wilde, J. W.|
|Title:||Georgia Railroad and Banking Company papers|
|Quantity:||0.04 Linear feet (1 folder housed with minor collections MS 338 to MS 351)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of twenty nine documents pertaining to the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company. Mostly shares of stock, powers of attorney, fifas, etc. Shares are signed by James Camak, John P. King, William Dearing, J.W. Wilde and others.|
On May 21, 1837, Georgia Railroad and Banking Company operated the first railroad in Georgia. It is the oldest railroad in Georgia continuously operating under its original charter which was granted by the General Assembly, on December 21, 1833. Though extensive portions of its lines were destroyed by Sherman, it carried without charge 100,000 Confederate soldiers to their homes after the War. It did a banking business from 1835 to 1892, which business has since been conducted by its affiliate, Georgia Railroad Bank & Trust Company. It still redeems its bank notes issued during the War Between the States and, since its completion, has never failed to pay a dividend except for the last War year, 1865. Georgia Railroad and Banking Company historical marker located in Augusta (Richmond County), Georgia.
Georgia Railroad and Banking Company papers, MS 347. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.