Anthony B. Herbert collection

Anthony B. Herbert collection

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Hargrett Manuscripts
Creator: Herbert, Anthony B.
Title: Anthony B. Herbert collection
Dates: 1930-2010
Quantity: 44.6 Linear feet (112 boxes)
Abstract:The collection consists of court filings and other documents relating to Herbert v. Lando et al. as well as few court filings from other, related court cases such as Franklin v. Holt, Rinehart and Winston Inc., James T. Wooten and Anthony B. Herbert. Also included are U.S. Army investigation reports regarding Herbert’s charges against General Barnes and Colonel Franklin as well as investigation reports regarding other war crimes in Vietnam. The collection also contains items from Herbert’s academic education at the University of Georgia, his long military career (1947-1972), and his civilian career as a clinical psychologist and author. For example, the collection contains Herbert’s published books and several unpublished manuscripts. It also holds correspondence; newspaper clippings; photographs; audio tapes; video material, e.g. outtakes from the 60 Minutes broadcast; and internet print outs, e.g. regarding the Korean and Vietnam Wars, Herbert’s war crimes allegations and his defamation law suit.
Coll. Number: ms3421

Biographical/Historical Note

Anthony Bernard Herbert, Lieutenant Colonel, author and psychologist, was born on April 17, 1930, in the coal mining town of Herminie, Pennsylvania as son of Charles Edward and Mary (Theibert) Herbert where he attended elementary and high school in Herminie. When the United States entered World War II in 1949, his two older brothers Charles and Jules Paul left home to serve their country, but eleven year old Anthony B. Herbert was too young to join the Army. Disappointed, he waved goodbye to his brothers from the family's front porch. Feeling an irresistible urge to become a soldier, Herbert ran away from home in 1944 to join the U.S. Marine Corps. Although the fourteen-year-old could easily pass for 18, the ruse failed only one day later and Herbert found himself back in Herminie. Not for long though: Three years later, at age 17, he quit high school in his junior year and joined the U.S. Army as a parachutist. After a year and half of basic training in Fort Dix, New Jersey, parachute training in Fort Benning, Georgia and some other special courses in Alaska and elsewhere, Herbert returned to Herminie in November 1948 to finish his high school education. With the help of his soon-to-be fiance, Marygrace Natale (they got married in July 1952), he graduated from Sewickley Township High School in May 1949.

In February 1950, after a couple of unsatisfying months as a craftsman and furnace master, Herbert reenlisted in the U.S. Army. After the Korean War broke out in June of 1950, he was sent to the peninsula in October of that year, where he distinguished himself as an infantry rifleman, squad leader, platoon sergeant, platoon leader and, finally, as a master sergeant. Several years later, in 1955, he published a book, titled Conquest to Nowhere, about his experiences in Korea. With his distinguished and brave conduct Herbert earned a number of medals and decorations, including four Bronze Stars, four Silver Stars, four Purple Hearts, the Syngman Rhee Citation, and the "Osminieh". Herbert thus became one of the Army's most decorated enlisted men of the Korean War. In October 1951, General Matthew B. Ridgway, commanding general of all United Nations forces in Korea, selected Herbert to represent the U.S. Army in a delegation of distinguished soldiers from all U.N. countries engaged in Korea. Herbert was flown back to the United States, where he met President Harry S. Truman, and then was sent on a tour of Europe. In November and December 1951 he visited London, Antwerp, Brussels, The Hague, and finally Paris. During this journey, Herbert met Eleanor Roosevelt. The former First Lady urged Herbert not to get carried away by his momentary fame, but to get a college degree in order to enhance his opportunities for professional advancement.

After Herbert had underwent Ranger and intelligence training in the spring and summer of 1952, and mountain and cold-weather training in Colorado in the fall and winter, he decided to become an officer. Following Eleanor Roosevelt’s advice, he left the Army in February of 1953 to enroll at the University of Pittsburgh. In September 1956 he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English. Herbert immediately reenlisted and was sent to Fort Benning, Georgia, where he attended the Basic Infantry Officer’s Course. In the fall of 1957 he was awarded a direct commission as a Second Lieutenant. In the following years, Herbert served as instructor at the Mountain Training Ranger Camp, Dahlonega, Georgia (1957-1959), as commander of a U.S. Army Ranger Unit, and as Company Commander, Company B, 505th Airborne Battle Group in Germany (1959-1962). Between 1962 and 1966 he went on several classified assignments to Africa, the Middle East and Vietnam. Furthermore, he was part of the initial landing force on the Dominican Incursion 1965. From 1966 to 1968, Herbert served as ROTC Instructor at the University of Georgia while pursuing a Masters of Science degree in psychology.

Following his graduation from UGA in July 1968, Anthony B. Herbert was scheduled to report to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas where he was supposed to attend the Command and General Staff School. Instead, he volunteered for service in Vietnam. By the end of August 1968, Herbert joined the 173rd Airborne Brigade, stationed in Phu Mhy province in the central highlands of Vietnam. Herbert, who by now held the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel, had hoped for a command, but was initially appointed the Brigade’s Inspector General. On February 3, 1969 he was finally given command of the 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Infantry. He reorganized his unit to improve its combat strength and performance and the 2nd Battalion soon surpassed all other battalions in the 173rd Airborne Brigade in regard to enemy contacts, body counts, prisoners of war, and captured weapons. At the same time, disciplinary issues decreased considerably. The men under his command in Vietnam regarded Herbert as a courageous and highly effective military leader who often personally engaged himself in ground combat, rather than directing operations from the air. Despite his aggressive engagement with enemy forces, he was known to take an unusually strong position regarding the appropriate treatment of civilians and prisoners. In a matter of only a few weeks, Herbert once again earned a number of decorations, including a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, an Air Medal, and an