|Title:||Athens-Clarke County Mayor's Office collection|
|Quantity:||1.3 Linear feet (1 half box, 1 flat box, 1 oversized folder B)|
Athens was no more than a trading settlement on the banks of the Oconee River called Cedar Shoals during the late 1700s. On January 27, 1785, the Georgia General Assembly chartered the University of Georgia as the first chartered state-supported university. The charter was drafted by Abraham Baldwin and existed only on paper for sixteen years. In the summer of 1801, a delegation of five men - Baldwin, John Milledge, George Walton, John Twiggs and Hugh Lawson - traveled to what was then Jackson County to select a site for the university and contract for its building. The delegation unanimously agreed on siting the school on property on the hill above Cedar Shoals and the Oconee River.
Milledge purchased 633 acres from Daniel Easley on July 25, 1801 and donated it to the university. He named the land Athens in honor of the Greek city that was the center of culture and learning during ancient times. In December 1806, the town of Athens was officially incorporated and a three-member commission form of government was established. As the university began to grow in reputation around the state, commerce and industry - mainly from the cotton mills - sprung up as Athens became known as the "Manchester of the South" for its pioneering cotton technology. Rail lines would eventually connect Athens with other major southern cities beginning in 1841. Forty-six streets received their official names in 1859, including Lumpkin, Clayton, Hancock, Prince, Thomas, and Baldwin.
(htttp://athensclarkecounty.com/history/athens.htm) Retrieved 1/21/2010.
The collection consists of photographs of Athens mayors from 1861 to 1905, and original photographs and reprints of Athens scenes from 1854 to 1988. Also included in ths collection are a map of Athens wards (circa 1970s), and a 48 star American flag.
Arranged by record type.
Athens-Clarke County Mayor's Office collection, 1854-1988. MS 3410. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.