|Creator:||Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790|
|Creator:||Pennsylvania. Supreme Executive Council.|
|Creator:||Trimble, James, b. 1755|
|Title:||Andrew Galbraith patent|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversized folder A)|
Andrew Galbraith was born in 1750. He married Barbara Kyle in 1780. In 1787, he took control of 300.5 acres of land in Westmoreland County, Pennyslvania, an acquisition overseen by Benjamin Franklin and James Trimble, both officials of the state at the time. The Galbraith family came from Ireland to America in 1699. There appear to be many "Andrew Galbraiths," suggesting the name has been passed on since 1699 to sons and grandsons. It does seem quite likely that this Andrew Galbraith was a Revolutionary War officer. If this is true, then Andrew Galbraith raised a company of soldiers in 1776 and was a commissioned major in Cumberland County, Pennyslvania. He defended Fort Washington but was taken prisoner by the British, which led to him being made unfit for further combat.
The collection consists of one patent for 300 1/2 acres of land in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, dated June 22, 1787, presented by Andrew Galbraith and signed by Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), President of the Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and James Trimble, Deputy Secretary. The document is handwritten in ink on parchment with the State Seal of Pennsylvania in the left corner.
Andrew Galbraith patent, 1787. MS 3393. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.