|Title:||Scull Shoals Manufacturing Company collection|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 portfolio)|
Scull Shoals Manufacturing Company was located in Scull Shoals, Georgia, on the Oconee River in Greene County. Scull Shoals used to have a population of approximately 600 people, and its main feature was this factory. It was one of the first cotton factories (paper mills) in the South, founded in 1807, and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Scull Shoals Manufacturing Company began in 1834 and did quite well processing and producing cotton. Slaves provided much of the labor for these operations for the company.
Scull Shoals excelled between 1840 to 1920. Because the company and town were situated on the Oconee River, droughts and floods periodically ravaged the town. In 1887, immense flooding economically ruined the company. By 1900, most had already left the town for other work, and the mills closed. Because of this, Scull Shoals became a dead town and ultimately a ghost town.
The collection consists of one small ledger dated 1837-1838. It details financial transactions between A. M. Hammond and Scull Shoals Manufacturing Company. It was found during a remodeling of the Monroe County, Georgia courthouse, either in the walls or the floor.
Scull Shoals Manufacturing Company collection. MS 3389. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.