|Creator:||Standard Oil Company.|
|Title:||Standard Oil scrapbook of stations in northeast and northwest Georgia|
|Quantity:||0.2 Linear feet (1 half box)|
Standard Oil Company and Trust was an "American company and corporate trust that from 1870 to 1911 was the industrial empire of John D. Rockefeller and associates, controlling almost all oil production, processing, marketing, and transportation in the United States." -- "Standard Oil Company and Trust." Encyclopaedia Britannica. http://search.eb.com/eb/article-9069396 (Retrieved January 28, 2010)
Texaco Inc, "original name (1901--59) Texas Fuel Company former U.S.-based oil and petrochemical corporation. Founded in 1901, by the late 20th century it was one of the world's largest petroleum companies in terms of sales. The name Texaco was adopted in 1959. Although the company originally conducted its business ventures wholly within Texas, it expanded to all states of the United States and eventually established operations in many parts of the world, including Latin America, Indonesia, and the Middle East. It was primarily engaged in the production, refining, marketing, and shipping of petroleum and natural gas. Texaco was acquired by Chevron in 2001 and became part of ChevronTexaco Corporation." "Texaco Inc." Encyclopaedia Britannica. http://search.eb.com/eb/article-9071877 (Retrieved January 28, 2010)
The collection consists of 27 black-and-white photographs taken in the 1940's of Texaco service stations in north Georgia. Locations include Calhoun, Commerce, Dalton, Gainesville, Hiawassee, Jefferson, Rockmart, Rome, Toccoa, and other places. There are also 2 photographs of the meeting of the "Texaco Quarter Century Club," one taken at the Henry Grady Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, April 21, 1961.
Arranged by record type.
Standard Oil scrapbook of stations in northeast and northwest Georgia. MS 3388. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.