|Title:||Robert Davisson collection|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (5 folders housed with minor collections range MS 329 to MS 334)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of materials regarding Augusta (Ga.) and Washington County (Ga.) collected by Robert Davisson. Materials from Augusta include correspondence to from the Mayor and City Council from the mid 1800s, including items about the town clock, opening a bar early morning, permission of a colored church to hold night services, the fire department, coffin for a child, etc. Materials from Washington County include court cases and estate papers of Daniel Harris, 1864-1865, correspondence between the State School Commissioner, J.R. Lewis and the County Superintendent, H.N. Hollifield.|
Augusta is Georgia's second oldest and second largest city and is the seat of Richmond County. Nature helped determine the course of Augusta's history. Situated at the fall line between the Piedmont and the Upper Coastal Plain, the focal point of natural trails, and the head of navigation of the Savannah River, the town was destined to become an important trading center. Abundant waterpower promoted the rise of industry.
Washington County in east central Georgia was established on February 25, 1784. Georgia's tenth county, named for U.S. President George Washington, it was settled by Revolutionary War veterans who were awarded grants to Creek and Cherokee lands. Beginning in 1786, seven counties plus portions of nine more were eventually cut from the original Washington County. The county currently encompasses 680 square miles and its population according to the 2000 U.S. Census was 21,176.
Arranged by topic.
Robert Davisson collection, MS 334. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.