|Creator:||Georgia. Governor (1839-1843 : McDonald).|
|Creator:||Sanford, John W. A., 1798-1870|
|Title:||Emery Hughes deed|
|Quantity:||0.05 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 3333 to MS 3336 housed together in 1 half box)|
John W. A. Sanford was a representative from Georgia; born near Milledgeville, Baldwin County, Ga., August 28, 1798. He attended the Baldwin County schools, and Yale University; engaged in agricultural pursuits; elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-fourth Congress and served from March 4, 1835, to July 25, 1835, when he resigned, before the convening of Congress, to assist in the removal of the Cherokee Indians; served in the Cherokee War in 1836 with the rank of major general; elected to the state senate in 1837, but resigned before taking his seat; served as secretary of state of Georgia 1841-1843; member of the state convention of 1850; died in Milledgeville, Ga., September 12, 1870; interment in Milledgeville Cemetery. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=S000049 (Retrieved May 19, 2010)
Walton County, forty-five miles east of Atlanta in Georgia's Piedmont region, is the state's forty-third county. Comprising 329 square miles, it was created on December 15, 1818, from land originally held by both the Cherokee and Creek Indians and was named for George Walton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and briefly a Georgia governor. (There was a previous Walton County created by the state legislature in 1803, but its location became part of what is now North Carolina when a dispute over the state line was settled in 1811.) The county seat is Monroe, where the current county courthouse (the third) was built in 1884; since that time the structure has undergone major restorations and additions. According to the 2000 U.S. census, Walton County's population was 60,687 (83 percent white 14.4 percent black, and 1.9 percent Hispanic), an increase of 57.3 percent since 1990. Walton County. New Georgia Encyclopedia http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2408 (Retrieved May 19, 2010)
The collection consists of a deed for a tract of land in Walton County, Georgia, dated July 1, 1843 and issued by Governor Charles J. McDonald. Other documents in the collection include a land grant from July 13, 1843 signed by the Secretary of State, John W. A. Sanford, and a bill of sale for land signed by Jesse Goolsby and Emery Hughes dated 1854.
Emery Hughes deed. MS 3335. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.