|Title:||Société Nationale d'Horticulture de France - "A Travers le jardin ou simples entretiens sur l'horticulture facile"|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 volume housed with minor collections range MS 329 to MS 334)|
The Société d'Horticulture de Paris (Paris Horticultural Society) was born on 11 th June 1827, at the instigation of Viscount Héricart de Thuryy. It became the Société Royale d'Horticulture (Royal Horticultural Society) in 1835. To start with it was a club for enthusiasts who wished to talk about their experiences or new cultivation techniques or to devote themselves to the acclimatisation of exotic species. A second society was formed in 1841, essentially made up of practitioners, and this soon became the Société Nationale d'Horticulture de la Seine (National Horticultural Society of the Seine). Chaired by the Duke de Morny, the two societies merged in 1854 and took the name of the Société Imperiale Centrale d'Horticulture (Central Imperial Horticultural Society) which moved to 84 rue de Grenelle in 1860 and became the Société Nationale d'Horticulture de France in 1885.
The collection consists of a series of handwritten talks or readings, 383 pages plus index, on horticulture for small gardens. The talks cover cultivation of flowers and vegetables and a few on fruits. In some cases, the author gives a brief history of the variety and a few personal comments. He tells how to graft shrubs and other plants and has a few sections on insects. The volume is illustrated, with some drawings and many colored pictures of flowers and vegetables pasted in. Some of these pictures may have been cut from seed packets. The author who is listed on the title page as, "...un Instituteur, membre et lauriÌ�at de la Société Nationale d'horticulture de France et de plusiers autres Sociétés horticoles" may be A. Nicolas. The volume is in French.
Société Nationale d'Horticulture de France - "A Travers le jardin ou simples entretiens sur l'horticulture facile", MS 329. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.