|Creator:||Congregation Children of Israel (Athens, Ga.).|
|Title:||Congregation Children of Israel Legacy collection|
|Quantity:||1.1 Linear feet (1 document box, 1 half box, 1 card box)|
"There are records of Jewish citizens living in Athens at the time of the Civil War. The Jewish community grew slowly, but by 1872, it had grown to the point where a group of it's leaders felt that they could conduct organized religious activities. They petitioned the Superior Court of Clarke County that a charter of incorporation be granted them as "officials and trustees of a Synagogue, or House of Worship for the Children of Israel under the name and style of "Kol Kadush Beni Yisroile and Congregation Children of Israel.'" In August of that year the petition for incorporation was signed...It was in 1884 that the congregation constructed the house of worship it would occupy for the next 84 years...The congregation continued to grow, increasing to 83 member families in 1983 to over 140 member families today...Since its beginnings in 1872, the Congregation Children of Israel has been the only synagogue in Athens." -- "History." Congregation Children of Israel. http://ccisrael.org/ (Retrieved November 20, 2009)
The collection consists of taped oral histories of members of Congregation Children of Israel in Athens, Ga. Interviews cover personal history, the subject's views on living as a Jew in America, peace for Israel, and Temple affiliation.
Arranged by record type.
Congregation Children of Israel Legacy collection. MS 3253. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.