|Title:||DuPree family farm ledgers|
|Quantity:||0.4 Linear feet (1 document box)|
Early leaders were desperate to settle the newly acquired land, so it was given away in a lottery system. Winners almost always used their 202.5 acre lots for farming, especially cotton. The only way to transport goods to Macon, the nearest market, was by wagon. Better transportation was a necessity. The solution to the problem was tracks, rails and locomotion.
The Monroe Railroad, owned by General Lewis Lawrence Griffin, received authority to build a line from Macon to Forsyth in 1833. More charters were granted to other companies. Tracks were planned to connect Macon to Savannah, Augusta to Madison and Chattanooga to a tiny town called Terminus.
General Griffin envisioned a town that would prosper at the crossings of a North-South line and a tract running East-West. After determining where these railroads would meet, he bought 800 acres in Pike County from Bartholomew Still. Griffin made a plan for the new town which included wide roadways, plots for six churches, two schools, parade grounds, and a cemetery. William Leak bought the first acre on June 8, 1840 for the tremendous sum of $1000.00. In 1842, the first steam engine came through town.
The railroad attracted cotton growers who supported merchants in town. Soon, professional people were settling in a place which was wilderness only a few years before. Griffin was officially incorporated on December 28, 1843. --- Spalding County, GA (http://www.spaldingcounty.com/history.htm) Accessed 6/14/2011.
The collection consists of ledgers from the DuPree family farm in Griffin, Georgia. The ledgers document money spent, items sold, etc. The years covered are 1827, 1894-1897, 1906-1917, 1916-1926.
Arranged by record type.
DuPree family farm ledgers. MS 3240. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.