|Title:||Gardner family papers|
|Quantity:||0.2 Linear feet (1 half box)|
Lee County, which spans 356 square miles, was created by an act of the state legislature on June 9, 1825, along with Carroll, Coweta, and Troup counties (although the counties were not officially named until December 1826). Georgia's sixty-first county was formed from land that was ceded by the Creek Indians in a treaty signed on February 12, 1825. One of Georgia's earliest counties in the southwestern part of the state, Lee originally comprised the subsequently created counties of Quitman, Randolph, Stewart, Sumter, Terrell, and Webster and parts of Chattahoochee, Clay, Macon, Marion, and Schley. The original county boundaries ran from the Flint River to the Chattahoochee River on the Alabama border. The total population in the 1830 census was 1,680. In 1832 the county seat was named Starkville after General John Stark, a Revolutionary War (1775-83) hero of the battles of Bunker Hill in Massachusetts and Bennington in Vermont. New Georgia Encyclopedia - Lee County http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2359 (Retrieved October 9, 2009)
The collection consists of deeds, maps, and letters related to Gardner family ownership of a Lee County farm.
Arranged by record type.
Gardner family papers. MS 3237. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.