|Creator:||Rotary Club (Athens, Ga.).|
|Title:||Athens Rotary Club scrapbook|
|Quantity:||0.4 Linear feet (2 half boxes)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of articles mostly titled "Squeaks from the Rotary Wheel" by Sam Woods, a local Rotarian during the period of 1927-1951 with gaps for the years 1931-1934. One folder contains pieces of articles. University of Georgia Manuscripts took the articles and copied them onto archival paper for preservation.|
Chartered March 12, 1920, the Athens Rotary Club has established itself both in the local community and in the Rotary community, as evidenced by its continuing tradition of service above self.
Douglas Flanigen was president when the Athens Rotary Club was chartered in 1920. The first steps to organize a Rotary club in Athens were begun in December 1915, but it was not until four years later that an organizing committee was formally appointed. It met Jan. 6, 1920, and on March 12, 1920, the club received its charter from Rotary International.
The club was chartered with 25 members and had grown to 37 members by June 2. During its first year of existence, it proved more than a social organization when it played a significant role in the University of Georgia's $1 million War Memorial Fund and in a $200,000 local bond issue for schools, street paving, sewage system and other civic improvements. --- Rotary Club of Athens (http://www.clubrunner.ca/Portal/SitePages/SitePage.aspx?cid=3117&pid=15856) Accessed 6/14/2011.
Arranged by record type.
Athens Rotary Club scrapbook. MS 3233. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Due to their fragile condition, the original scrapbooks have not been preserved. Their contents were photocopied onto archival paper and foldered to preserve the original order and context.