|Title:||Pioneer Reel Company No. 5 photograph|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 portfolio)|
The Pioneer Reel Company No. 5 was one of four companies which made up the Athens Volunteer Fire Department in the latter part of the 1800s.
The church was constituted January 31, 1830 and was incorporated as Athens Baptist Church in 1866. The name was changed to First Baptist Church in 1944. It originally met in a small frame structure on the University campus near the intersection of Broad and Lumpkin streets. In 1860 the church moved to a new facility on Washington Street near College Avenue. Members remained there until 1898 when they moved into a new facility at approximately the same location but facing College Avenue. They moved to the current location at Hancock and Pulaski in 1921. (http://www.acswebnetworks.com/firstbaptistathens)
The collection consists of one photograph depicting members of the Pioneer Reel Company No. 5, after a competition with other fire companies from around the state. It was taken on the side of the First Baptist Church which at the time stood at the corner of Washington Street and College Avenue in Athens.
Pioneer Reel Company No. 5 photograph. MS 3202. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.