|Creator:||Gregson & Associates, Architects (Atlanta, Ga.).|
|Title:||Hospitals designed by Gregson & Associates, Architects, Atlanta, Georgia|
|Quantity:||3.6 Linear feet (2 oversized boxes)|
"The Eugene Talmadge Memorial Hospital, located at 1120 15th Street, was one of six buildings included in the State Hospital Project. In addition to the hospital, the project included two dormitories, house staff quarters, a treatment center for alcoholics, a warehouse and an educational facility. Gregson and Ellis from Atlanta were the architects, and the Fuller Company of Washington, D.C. was the general contractor. Construction cost approximately $11 million and equipment cost $4 million. The cornerstone of Talmadge Hospital was laid in February 1954. Although construction was complete in fall 1955, the hospital opened in June 1956 due to installation of equipment and disputes over operational policies. Dr. Rufus Payne supervised construction and served as the first superintendent of the hospital. The Research Wing opened in 1961. The hospital was subsequently renamed the Medical College of Georgia Hospitals and Clinics, then MCG Medical Center. Management of the MCGs clinical facilities transferred to MCG Health, Inc. in July 2000." -- "History of the Medical College of Georgia" from http://www.lib.mcg.edu/history/1953-1958.php (Accessed October 12, 2009)
The collection consists of two portfolios of photographs and photographs of renderings for hospitals primarily in Georgia (mostly Atlanta or Augusta), including Eugene Talmadge Memorial Hospital (Augusta, Georgia), Cobb Memorial Hospital (Austell, Georgia), and Georgia Mental Health Center (Atlanta, Georgia). Photographs are color and include external and internal views.
Hospitals designed by Gregson & Associates, Architects, Atlanta, Georgia, MS 3194. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.