|Creator:||First Presbyterian Church (Athens, Ga.).|
|Title:||First Presbyterian Church (Athens, Ga.) records|
|Quantity:||0.8 Linear feet (2 document boxes)|
In 1820, under the leadership of Dr. Moses Waddel, President of the University of Georgia, the Presbyterians in Athens, Georgia were organized into a congregation on Christmas Day. This area was then in Hopewell Presbytery, Synod of South Carolina. The original church building was located at the main entrance to the University campus on Broad St. It was erected in 1828. The present building was erected in 1855-56. The lot (No. 30, Mitchell Survey) was purchased in 1854. The cost of the building was $10,000 and the builder was Ross Crane. It was extensively remodeled both in 1906 and 1965, when the educational wing was added. Several pews (deacon's benches) from the original building are still in use, though considered treasures, in various rooms and offices. The pews in the present sanctuary were made from lumber on the John White plantation. They varied in length to accomodate the families of the original occupants. The Tinsley-Stern Youth Building was acquired in 1992. (http://www.athensfirstpres.com/history.html)
The collection consists of letters, photographs, inventories and bulletins concerning some of the programs of the church. Of primary interest are letters from members of the armed forces, their families, chaplains and other pastors during World War II, as a result of the church's contact with the military forces during part of the period of Dr. Eugene L. Hill's pastorate. Church material includes photos of missionaries; the M. L. Swineharts and Mrs. H. C. Ostrom; Bible and Sunday school classes; family night suppers; committee meetings; the church building and staff; John Roark; Martha Sonte; Chaplain W. R. Floyd; and a Haiti mission trip. Also included are various resolutions and memorials.
Arranged into 2 series and 2 subseries.
First Presbyterian Church (Athens, Ga.) records, MS 3151. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.