|Title:||Camp Crawford W. Long photograph|
|Dates:||1934 April 3|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversized folder A)|
"Among the numerous New Deal programs of Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) is remembered as one of the most popular and effective. Established on March 31, 1933, the corps's objective was to recruit unemployed young men (and later, out-of-work veterans) for forestry, erosion control, flood prevention, and parks development... the CCC was overwhelmingly popular in Georgia. Before the corps' termination on July 1, 1942, more than 78,000 men were employed in 127 camps (approximately 30-35 camps operated at a time) across the state." -- "Civilian Conservation Corps." New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Retrieved September 30, 2009)
"History of Company 483 CCC, Forestry Camp Ga. F-7, Chatsworth, Georgia... This camp is one of the 1,679 approved camps established throughout the country by order of President Roosevelt, in accordance with the act of Congress, which was approved on March 31, 1933, providing for the establishing of Civilian Conservation Corps for the relief of the unemployed through the performance of useful public works." -- http://www.ccclegacy.org/georgia1.htm (Retrieved September 30, 2009)
The collection consists of a 8" x 19 1/2" black and white photograph of Camp Crawford W. Long, Civilian Conservation Corps, Chatsworth, Georgia, dated 4/3/1934.
Camp Crawford W. Long photograph, MS 3103. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.