|Title:||Banks County (Ga.) mercantile records|
|Dates:||1904-1920, bulk 1904-1909|
|Quantity:||0.8 Linear feet (11 volumes in 2 document boxes)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of 11 volumes of mercantile records from Banks County (Ga.) probably in town of Maysville, 1904-09 and one v. for 1920. Books include the customer's name in the front index, then purchases under the customer's name, dates of purchase, and price. Customers include men and women, both white and colored. A few entries concern bills for the store itself. One folder of loose material concerns M.D. Pittman and various business dealings including Bacon Milling Co., Maysville (Ga.).|
Banks County, in northeast Georgia, is the state's 129th county, comprising 233 square miles. The county was created from portions of Franklin and Habersham counties in 1858 and was named for Richard E. Banks (1794-1856), a circuit-riding surgeon who treated white settlers and Indians in the area, developing a good reputation among the Cherokees for treating smallpox. The land that became Banks County was originally held by the Cherokees, forming a border territory between the Cherokee Indian Nation and the newly formed United States of America.
From the late 19th century to the early 20th century, the predominant crop of cotton was replaced with beef and poultry. Maysville, Georgia, had an extremely large cotton market before 1920, however.
New Georgia Encyclopedia. (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2291)
Arranged in chronological order.
Banks County (Ga.) mercantile record. MS 3053. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.