|Title:||Koinonia Farm photographs|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 portfolio)|
Attempting to live out the principles of pacifism, simplicity, and racial integration, a pair of white Baptist ministers and their wives, Mabel and Martin England and Florence and Clarence Jordan, established Koinonia Farm on 400 acres in rural Sumter County in 1942. The ministers also hoped to teach improved farm practices. Named after the Greek word for fellowship and based on the early Christian church, Koinonia was to be a Christian community in which members pooled their resources into a common treasury and treated all persons as equals, regardless of race or class. In Koinonia's first year, curious neighbors visited England and Jordan to warn them that they were violating local customs by eating meals with their black day laborers. Other Sumter County residents criticized Koinonia for welcoming conscientious objectors during World War II (1941-45). New Georgia Encyclopedia - Koinonia Farm http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1592 (Retrieved September 14, 2009)
The collection consists of nine 8" x 10" black and white photographs of Koinonia Farm's Interracial Children's Camp, "Camp Koinonia." These photographs were taken during the 1956 season at Monteagle, Tennessee. Most of the images depict children in various recreational activity. The collection also includes a few clippings and printed material about Koinonia, as well as two health inspector's reports of Koinonia from June 1956.
Koinonia Farm photographs. MS 3049. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.