|Creator:||Holly Springs Baptist Church (Elbert County, Ga.). -- Constitution|
|Title:||Elbert County (Ga.) Documents|
|Quantity:||1.5 Linear feet (2 microfilm reels and 1 box)|
The Elberton Institute was a school in Elberton, Georgia. Elberton is the county seat of Elbert County, which was named for General Samuel Elbert and created from a portion of Wilkes County in 1790.
Holy Springs Baptist Church was organized in 1795.
Bethel E. Baptist Church in the Longstreet community of Elbert County was once known as Beaverdam Church. It was granted a separate existence by Vans Creek Baptist Church in August 1829. It was organized at a place known as Childers Meeting House near Pearl Mill. The first pastor was Rev. James Davis who served for twelve years.
The collection consists of records from the Elberton Institute, Holy Springs Baptist Church, and Bethel E. Baptist Church. The Elberton Institute records consist of minutes from 7 June 1888-25 July 1900 plus a few loose papers found in the book. The records from Holy Springs Baptist Church consist of the Church Constitution, member lists 1876-1915, record of the church January 1876-18 November 1933, pastor's salary donation, 1903-1910, and minutes of the church September 1933-6 September 1959 and membership lists. Original records are owned by the church and are stored in the Probate Court vault at the Elbert County Courthouse. The records of the Bethel E. Baptist Church document the church from 1829 to 1959.
Elbert County (Ga.) documents, ms 2985. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
The Holly Springs Baptist Church records are available only on microfilm, the originals are house at the Elbert County Courthouse.