|Creator:||Athenaeum Club (Walton County, Ga.).|
|Title:||Athenaeum Club papers|
|Quantity:||0.8 Linear feet (2 document boxes)|
The Athenaeum Club was organized by a group of women in Monroe, Walton County, Georgia, in August of 1899, with seventeen charter members and has continued to meet since that time. A social and literary club, it was first known as the Irving Circle or Club. Meeting monthly for nine months of the year, programs included reviews of literature, current topics and original papers showing ability and literary merit were presented.
The collection consists of one bound book with founding rules and the 1911 President's address, yearbooks from 1901-June 1947 and minutes and yearbooks for most years September 1947-May 1998. There is a summary of the first 50 years in 1:4 and the second fifty in 2:7. Photographs were made when the Club donated the materials and are included with the 1998 materials.
Arranged in chronological order.
Athenaeum Club papers, MS 2979. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
In 1998 the Athenaeum Club donated their materials came to the Hargrett Library. Photographs were made of the occasion and are included with the papers. The Club agreed to send additional materials on a yearly basis.