|Creator:||Waters, Kenneth Lee, 1914-|
|Creator:||Wilson, Robert Cumming, b. 1878|
|Title:||Kenneth L. Waters collection|
|Quantity:||9.8 Linear feet (14 document boxes, 3 oversized boxes, 1 oversized folder A, 1 oversized folder B)|
Kenneth Lee Waters was born January 24, 1914 in Monroe, Virginia. He attended Lynchburg College in Virginia, the University of Georgia and he received his Ph.D. from the University of Maryland in 1945. It was October 7, 1939, when he married Grace Wilson, daughter of Robert C. Wilson, in Athens, Georgia. Kenneth L. Waters died March 27, 1996. Before becoming dean of the University of Georgia School of Pharmacy, Kenneth Waters was a drug chemist for the USDA, a pharmaceutical researcher at the Mellon Institute, and technical director of Zimmer Co. Kenneth L. Waters became the dean of the University of Georgia School of Pharmacy in 1948. During his administration he was responsible for changing the curriculum from a four-year to a five-year program and beginning a graduate program which led to the Master Degree and Doctor of Philosophy. He also had the job of planning and building a multi-million dollar school facility. He retired as dean in 1977.
The collection consists of materials belonging to Dr. Kenneth L. Waters (1914-1996), dean of the pharmacy school of the University of Georgia from 1948 to 1977. Kenneth L. Waters was the second dean of the pharmacy school and had many papers from Robert C. Wilson, first dean of the pharmacy school and father of his wife, Grace.
Also in this collection are several photographs including ones of Dr. William Terrell and the old pharmacy lecture room, dean's office, and laboratory in Terrell Hall. There are blueprints and plans of the pharmacy school when it was housed at Terrell Hall, New College, Moore College, LeConte Hall and the newer Pharmacy building built in 1961-1964. There are notes, photos and histories about pharmacy in Georgia, Crawford W. Long, and the University of Georgia School of Pharmacy. Correspondence, articles and other materials concerning Southern College of Pharmacy and the Georgia State Proposal of 1964 to place Southern College under Georgia State University are included.
There is also an index of students registered in the UGA Pharmacy School and the year/s attended between 1900-1948. Print materials in this collection are authored by Kenneth L. Waters, Robert C. Wilson, and professors in the pharmacy school as well as items by others relating to pharmacy history and pharmacy in general.
Finally, there are housed with this collection Kenneth L. Waters' pharmacy licenses and other plaques and awards. These are in the oversized boxes. One oversized folder contains clippings about Georgia, primarily about the University, containing the years 1937, 1961, 1964, and 1970, and the second contains blueprints of the pharmacy school from the 1950s-1960s.
Arranged by subject and record type.
Related collections held by American Institute of the History of Pharmacy, Madison, Wisconsin, Manuscripts Collection: Letters of Robert C. Wilson.
Kenneth L. Waters collection, 1900-1995. MS 2972. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.