|Creator:||Strange, J. T.|
|Title:||Barrow County, Georgia, petitions|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversized folder B)|
" On July 7, 1914, Barrow was formed from Gwinnett, Jackson, and Walton counties. It was named for David C. Barrow Jr., chancellor of the University of Georgia from 1906 to 1925." -- Barrow County. New Georgia Encyclopedia. http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/ (Retrieved August 31, 2009)
Kimball House was an Atlanta hotel.
The collection consists of a photocopy of the Georgia Laws, 1914, Act 278, setting out the new county of Barrow, with the county seat of Winder, July 19, 1904. Included are 6 original petitions of various sizes with original signatures, from citizens of Jackson County in that part of the county which would be Barrow, asking that the new county be created. Over 300 signatures are found on the documents. Also, there is a green leather pouch, where the petitions were found, with an envelope addressed to J.T. Strange, Kimball House, Atlanta, 1914.
This collection includes an explanation of the documents on a separate sheet of paper contained with the folder.
Barrow County, Georgia, petitions. MS 2941. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.