|Creator:||Bowen, Eliza A.|
|Creator:||Hays, Louise Frederick, 1881-1951|
|Creator:||United States. Work Projects Administration.|
|Creator:||Wilson, John B., d. 1946|
|Title:||Eliza A. Bowen typescript for The Story of Wilkes County|
|Quantity:||0.4 Linear feet (2 items in 1 document box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of two copies of a bound typescript of a history of Wilkes County by Eliza A. Bowen. Copy one contains a map and is annotated and indexed. This book was first published serially in the Washington Chronicle of 1899. It was copied and indexed with authority of John B. Wilson, Secretary of State, under direction of Mrs. J.E. Hays, State Historian, 1940. W.P.A. Project no. 5993. Printed by Continental Book Company, Marietta, Georgia, 1950.|
"Located in east central Georgia, Wilkes County was created in 1777. The state's first county, it was originally far larger than its current 471 square miles. The area that became the original Wilkes County was called the New Purchase or Ceded Lands, referring to the land lying between the Broad and Savannah rivers, which today includes Elbert and Lincoln counties, as well as parts of Oglethorpe, Taliaferro, and Warren counties. Wilkes County is named for John Wilkes, a colorful member of British Parliament who opposed some of the British policies that eventually led to the American Revolution (1775-83)." -- "Wilkes County" from the New Georgia Encyclopedia, http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2418&sug=y (Accessed March 24, 2009)
Published edition available in the University of Georgia, Georgia Room. The story of Wilkes County, Continental Book Company, Marietta, Georgia, 1950.
Eliza A. Bowen typescript for The Story of Wilkes County, MS 274. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.