|Creator:||Silver, George Edgar|
|Title:||George Edgar Silver report|
|Dates:||1931 November 23|
|Quantity:||0.02 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 2665-2667, 2669, 2670, 2675-2677, 2680, 2681, and 2685-2695 housed together in 1 document box)|
Georgia's twenty-fourth county, Lincoln County comprises 211 square miles and was created in 1796 in the northeast part of the state from Wilkes County. The county is named for Benjamin Lincoln, a major general of the Continental Army who played a key role in the defeat of the British at Yorktown during the American Revolution (1775-83). The area's first inhabitants were Creek and Cherokee Indians, who ceded the land to Georgia in 1773. The first white settlers came from the Carolinas, enticed by land grants available for "a reasonable sum." The county seat is Lincolnton, incorporated in 1817. When the county was created in 1796, the state legislature directed that court sessions be held in the house of Joseph Stovall until a county seat was selected. Lincolnton was named county seat in 1800, and a stone courthouse was built soon thereafter. It was replaced in 1874 with a two-story courthouse, which was torn down in 1916. The current courthouse, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has been in use since 1915. Lincoln County - New Georgia Encyclopedia http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org (Retrieved July 28, 2009)
Located in east central Georgia, Wilkes County was created in 1777. The state's first county, it was originally far larger than its current 471 square miles. The area that became the original Wilkes County was called the New Purchase or Ceded Lands, referring to the land lying between the Broad River and the Savannah River, which today includes Elbert and Lincoln counties, as well as parts of Oglethorpe, Taliaferro, and Warren counties. Wilkes County is named for John Wilkes, a colorful member of British Parliament who opposed some of the British policies that eventually led to the American Revolution (1775-83). Creek and Cherokee people originally held the land but lost it to whites in a treaty signed in 1773. The first non-Indians in the area were fur trappers and traders; the first white settlers came from North Carolina, followed soon by a large number of Virginians. The latter were wealthier, more educated, and often held a higher social status than the former. Sociocultural differences between the two settler groups led to political dissension that eventually spread across Georgia, with citizens choosing sides led by men from one group or the other. While Georgia was still an English colony, the area now forming Wilkes County was part of St. Paul Parish. The area saw action during the American Revolution, most notably on February 14, 1779, during the Battle of Kettle Creek, one of the most decisive conflicts of the war. British forces, solidly defeated by the Americans, were prevented from moving farther into west Georgia. The eventual county seat, Washington, was settled in 1773 by Stephen Heard, a one-term governor of Georgia. He established a fort known initially as Heard's Fort and later as Fort Washington, honoring his former neighbor, George Washington. The first court sessions north of Augusta were held at Heard's Fort in 1779. During Heard's term as governor (1780-81), the colonial legislature met in Augusta, but he used Fort Heard as his capital during a time when Augusta was endangered. Wilkes County's economy originally relied heavily on cotton, and Washington was once a thriving commercial center. However, the damage to cotton done by the boll weevil in the 1920s caused a precipitous decline in the fortunes of the area, exacerbated in the following decades by the closure of numerous manufacturing plants. The peak population of 24,210 in 1920 had dropped to 10,687 by 2000. Among the current efforts to reverse decades of economic decline is the aggressive pursuit of new industries through the building of industrial parks. A successful workplace-to-school educational partnership has also been instituted and serves as a model for other counties. There are also creative efforts under way to make use of the rich heritage of this historical county, in hopes of boosting tourism. Wilkes County - New Georgia Encyclopedia http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org (Retrieved July 28, 2009)
The collection consists of one report dated 23 November 1931 entitled "Report on the Skeeter Ores & Other Properties in Lincoln & Wilkes County, GA". On the title page of the report, Silver describes himself as a "mining engineer & geologist". The report provides information about the Chambers property, "situated on the border between Wilkes and Lincoln counties in the northeastern part of Georgia". The report includes data on the "location, roads, railroads, cities, topography, climate, labor, supplies, geology, ores, methods of prospecting and estimating of mining and milling costs" of the property.
George Edgar Silver report, 1931 November 23. MS 2695(M). Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.