|Creator:||McLendon, S. G.|
|Title:||Hoboken-Nahunta County Site Removal Bill (Brantley County)|
|Quantity:||0.019 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 2665-2667, 2669, 2670, 2675-2677, 2680, 2681, and 2685-2695 housed together in 1 document box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of four items relating to the Hoboken-Nahunta County Site Removal Bill such as a petition for Mandamus, a bill explanation, a statement by Secretary of State S.G. McLendon, and a fact sheet about Hoboken, Ga.|
In 1920 Brantley County, in southeast Georgia, became Georgia's 158th county. Prior to 1920, residents of the area that made up parts of Charlton, Pierce, and Wayne counties felt estranged from their county governments. Most of them lived in hard-to-reach rural areas, far removed from where political decisions were made. In 1919 a group of these dissatisfied Georgians created a "citizens' committee," led by local state senator J. K. Larkins, to convince their neighbors and the state legislature to create the new county. The 444-square-mile county was originally inhabited by the Creek Indians. During the colonial period, the area fell within the bounds of land disputed by the Spanish and the English, a debate settled in favor of the English following the Battle of Bloody Marsh in 1742. The county was named for either Benjamin Daniel Brantley (1832-91), a merchant who encouraged the development of cotton ginning and turpentine manufacturing in the area, or his son, William Gordon Brantley (1860-1934), who served in both houses of the Georgia legislature and in the U.S. House of Representatives. Soon after the county was created, controversy arose over the choice of the county seat. Senator Larkins and most members of the citizens' committee were from Hoboken, a thriving community on the west side of the new county. The Brunswick and Western Railroad already ran through the area, and the land in the west was better suited for future industry than the swampland in the east. The only voting booths for the new county's voters were located at the Hoboken schoolhouse. County residents in the east, claiming that their voting rights were being violated, went to court over the location of the county seat. After three years of court battles and an election, the Georgia General Assembly designated Nahunta, in the east, as the new county seat. Nahunta, incorporated in 1925, is the second community with this name to be located in the area. Old Nahunta was once a railroad stop west of present-day Nahunta and an important depot for travelers catching trains on the north-south line from Jesup to Folkston. The depot, originally built on stilts because of the area's swampy ground, was also a social gathering place. Among those who caught trains there were U.S. presidents Calvin Coolidge and Dwight Eisenhower, and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor (after the Duke's 1936 abdication of the British throne). Hoboken was incorporated in 1920 and became an early trade center because of its proximity to the railroad. The town may have been named for the New Jersey city, as William A. Martin, who built the town's first turpentine still, had a coworker from there. Hoboken is well known among Sacred Harp singers for the "Hoboken style," which is so distinctive that it has been given a place in the Library of Congress Local Legacies project. This unique style points to the extraordinary isolation of Hoboken until recent times. Other towns in the county include Atkinson, Hickox, Hortense, Lulaton, Trudie, and Waynesville. Hortense, established in the nineteenth century as a timber and turpentine town and flourishing when railroads intersected it in 1902, became the site of the Georgia State Prison Camp in the 1930s. Until it closed in 1944, the prison put its inmates to work constructing roads. Brantley County - New Georgia Encyclopedia http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org (Retrieved May 12, 2009)
Hoboken-Nahunta County Site Removal Bill (Brantley County), 1923 July. MS 2692(M). Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.