|Creator:||Meson Academy (Lexington, Ga.).|
|Title:||Meson Academy annual exhibition program|
|Quantity:||0.019 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 2665-2667, 2669, 2670, 2675-2677, 2680, 2681, and 2685-2695 housed together in 1 document box)|
"Francis Meson (1761-1806), an Irishman and "wandering schoolteacher," became a rich merchant in Lexington. He bequeathed $8,000.00 for an academy building and valuable property for an endowment, "the income to be used forever for the benefit of the teachers." His executors erected a building, excelled among Georgia educational structures only by Franklin College, the sole building at the University of Georgia at that time. In 1825 a Female Department was added under the direction of the Rev. Thomas Goulding. The income from the endowment was liquidated when a new building was constructed in 1896. In 1917, Lexington voted a school tax and Meson Academy became a free school. In 1920 it became the Oglethorpe County High School. The first rector or principal of the academy was the Rev. Francis Cummins. Of the outstanding educators who followed him, Thomas Britton Moss served from 1849 through the difficult War and Reconstruction periods until 1889. Some of Georgia's most eminent men were on the Meson Academy Board of Trustees: William H. Crawford, George R. Gilmer, Joseph Henry Lumpkin, Thomas W. Cobb." -- "Meson Academy." Georgia Info. http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/gahistmarkers/mesonacademyhistmarker.htm (Retrieved July 15, 2009)
The collection consists of an 1859 annual exhibition program and order of exercises for the music program at Meson Academy with participants named.
Meson Academy annual exhibition program, 1859. MS 2686. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.