|Title:||Lucy Cobb Institute (Athens, Ga.) photographs|
|Quantity:||0.2 Linear feet (1 oversized folder A)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of two photographs, one of the Lucy Cobb Institute Building and one of the Seney-Stovall Chapel.|
The Lucy Cobb Institute, a secondary school for young women in Athens, was founded in 1859 by Thomas R.R. Cobb, a prominent lawyer and proslavery writer. Cobb had hoped that his young daughter Lucy would attend the new school, but she died before it opened, and the institute's board of directors named the institute in her honor.
Most Lucy Cobb students came from wealthy and well-established families. Nineteenth-century schools for elite young women emphasized subjects that would enhance their gentility, including art, music, and French, and Lucy Cobb was no exception. Yet even from its early days, the school offered a more academically serious curriculum than the stereotypical finishing school.
After 1918, once the University of Georgia (UGA) began accepting women students, graduates of Lucy Cobb's collegiate program could enroll. Indeed, the school aimed its curriculum to prepare graduates to attend the university. Despite its success, the institute struggled to maintain high enrollment and keep its bills paid. The school faced acute financial difficulties in the 1920s, mostly because of the agricultural depression that hurt the entire state. After Rutherford's death in 1928, the school struggled on for a few more years, finally closing in 1931. UGA purchased the building, but it fell into disuse.
Lucy Cobb Institute - New Georgia Encyclopedia http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org (Retrieved May 23, 2011)
In 1880, shortly after Mildred Rutherford became principal of the Lucy Cobb Institute, she recognized the need for a chapel for the religious services of the school. She initiated a fund-raising campaign by having students contact prominent philanthropists. Nellie Stovall wrote to George I. Seney, who had given to both Emory University and Wesleyan College. Seney contributed a significant amount, under the condition that the citizens of Athens contribute the remaining sum needed. This was quickly done. Construction was begun and the cornerstone of the Seney-Stovall Chapel was laid in May 1882. The chapel was used for graduation exercises, as a recital hall, for lectures, plays, pageants, concerts and cultural events of all sorts.
-- The Carl Vinson Institute of Government website http://www.cviog.uga.edu/about/chapel/history.php (Retrieved July 14, 2009)
Arranged by record type.
Lucy Cobb Institute (Athens, Ga.) photographs, circa 1900s. MS 2668. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.