|Creator:||Calhoun, F. Phinizy, (Ferdinand Phinizy), 1910-1995|
|Title:||F. Phinizy Calhoun, Sr. papers re. University's Permanent Committee on Memorials|
|Quantity:||0.4 Linear feet (1 document box)|
The University of Georgia Permanent Committee on Memorials was formed in 1931 for the purpose of establishing memorials to past Presidents and Chancellors as well as outstanding faculty members and alumni of the University.
"F. Phinizy Calhoun Jr. served as chair of the Emory School of Medicine Ophthalmology Department from 1946 until 1978. During his tenure he helped open an eye bank, the fifth in the United States, to serve patients in the Southeast who needed cornea transplants. He is credited with bringing modern ophthalmology to Georgia." - "Emory Eye Center." New Georgia Encyclopedia. http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org (Retrieved October 8, 2008)
The Permanent Committee on Memorials was formed in 1931 for the purpose of establishing memorials to past Presidents and Chancellors as well as outstanding faculty members and alumni of the University of Georgia. The committee consisted of the following individuals:
Dr. Phinizy Calhoun, Sr.-Chairman
Judge William H. Barrett
Dr. Craig Barrow
John W. Grant
Dr. Ulrich Phillips
Dr. John W. Wade
This collection consists of one Hollinger box of almost entirely correspondence (arranged alphabetically by last name of writer or addressee) dating from the early 1930's. Since the committee would often solicit help from the relatives of the individuals to be honored, most of the letters concern this subject, especially in regard to the donation or commissioning of portraits. There are also letters from the committee members to Dr. Calhoun, in which various business matters are discussed. Other items in these papers include printed material, lists, reports, two photographs, and other miscellany. See the collection guide for additional information.
Arranged alphabetically by last name of writer or addressee.
F. Phinizy Calhoun, Sr. papers re. University's Permanent Committee on Memorials, 1903-1933. MS 2560. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.