|Creator:||Warren, Mary Bondurant|
|Title:||Hills of Wilkes County, Georgia|
|Quantity:||0.4 Linear feet (1 document box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of an unedited manuscript of volume 2 of Mary Warren's Hills of Wilkes County, Georgia (published as Hills of Wilkes County, Georgia, and allied families). This volume was published as the companion volume to Lodowick Johnson Hill's original volume of 1922.|
Mary Bondurant Warren is a local genealogist. She has been working on studying Wilkes County, Georgia, since the 1970s. She did work on "Hills of Wilkes County" in 1988. In 1995, she wrote "Wilkes County, Georgia land grants." Warren also transcribed and edited "Chronicles of Wilkes County, Georgia."
Wilkes County, Georgia, was named for the British politician, John Wilkes. It is considered Georgia's very first county, created in February 1777. It had been originally formed from land ceded by the Creek and Cherokee Nations in 1773. Parts were taken from Wilkes County from the late 18th and 19th centuries to form other counties.
In 1779, Wilkes County witnessed an important battle in the American Revolutionary War, where American colonists were victorious over British loyalists. After the Revolution, the land was increasingly used as cotton plantations, meaning slave labor was in high demand. Located nicely in Georgia, Wilkes County saw a very successful slave trade. During the Civil War, Wilkes County went with the Confederacy. No battles were fought around or in the county, but at the very end of the war, President Jefferson Davis met with the Confederate Congress for the last time.
Hills of Wilkes County, Georgia, MS 2529. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Gift of Mary Bondurant Warren.