|Creator:||Confederate Survivors Association.|
|Title:||Survivor's Association, Confederate Veterans, North-East Georgia Ledger|
|Quantity:||0.04 Linear feet (1 folder; MS 2431, 2436, 2440, 2441, 2458, 2474, 2484, 2524, 2531, & 2532 housed together)|
"The Confederate Survivors Association of Augusta, Georgia, was regularly organized on May 3, 1878 but had its beginning in an older organization known as the Cavalry Survivor=s Association, Augusta, Georgia, in 1866. This may have been one of the earliest Confederate veterans organizations. Captain William B. Young was the president of the Cavalry Survivors Association for twelve years until merged with the Confederate Survivors Association in 1878. The Confederate Survivors Association was a benevolent, historical and social association dedicated to preserving the comradeship of those who served all functions of Confederate military and naval service. Membership was based upon service accompanied with endorsements verifying that service. The CSA adopted the United Confederate Veterans constitution on February 7, 1894, but not without concern of loss of individual identity. The Augusta Confederate Survivors Association became Camp No. 435 of the United Confederate Veterans however retained its original name. In 1896 the Augusta CSA petitioned the UCV to change its name to Confederate Survivors Association so that the C. S. A. could be retained. Presidents, or commanders, of the association included General Clement A. Evans (1878-79); Colonel Charles G. Jones, Jr (1879- July, 1893); Captain F. E. Eve, (1894-May, 1897), Salem Dutcher, (1897- 1899); H. B. Smith, (1889-1900); George W. McLaughlin, (1900- ?). The list of association presidents is incomplete in available records; George T. Lamback, (1912); A. J. Twiggs, (1921) and General J. D. Fooshee, (1936). Membership in the Confederate Survivors Association numbered upwards to approximately 900 members not all in the Augusta, Georgia. Some were absentee members. The majority of the membership drives occurred during the week including and following Confederate Memorial Day beginning April 21 of each year. Applications were made by printed form and by letter. The printed form measured 52 by 82 inches (13.8 by 21.5cm). There are three versions of the printed form. Earliest October 30, 1878 with minor variations in printing, a second version, displaying the Confederate Battle Flag in color, from about 1897, and a third from about 1917, 52 by 9 inches (13.8 by 22.8cm), displaying a waving Texas-style Confederate Battle Flag, with large white star in center of crossed bars." -- "Confederate Survivors Association, Augusta, Georgia" from the Augusta State University Reese Library web site, http://www.aug.edu/~liblsc/Grant/CSA/CSAdescription.html (Accessed October 9, 2009)
The collection consists of one ledger of the Confederate Survivor's Association of North-East (Augusta), Georgia.
Survivor's Association, Confederate Veterans, North-East Georgia Ledger, 1892. MS 2524. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Gift of Mary Bondurant Warren.