|Creator:||First Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.).|
|Title:||First Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.) records|
|Dates:||1840, 1854, 1858|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 portfolio)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of a list of the rules and members of the First Presbyterian Church of Savannah, Georgia in 1840. Also included are notes from 1854 and 1858.|
In the spring of 1827, a group of thirteen people (including Lowell Mason, noted organist and hymn writer) requested to be dismissed from Independent Presbyterian Church in order to form a congregation that would have ties with the great body of Presbyterian churches in the United States. On June 6th of 1827, they became the first Presbyterian church in the city to be affiliated with the Presbytery of Georgia. The group met for a few years at Lyceum Hall on Broughton Street near Bull Street. Then in 1834, they built their first meeting house, a simple frame structure, a few blocks west on Broughton Street. In 1872 First Presbyterian Church dedicated its current building on the east side of Monterey Square.
Arranged in chronological order.
First Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.) records, MS 2454. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.