|Title:||Class photograph of the Medical Department of the University of Georgia|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversized folder A)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of a photograph of the class of 1899 of the Medical Department of the University of Georgia.|
In August 1873, the Medical College of Georgia became the Medical Department of the University of Georgia. The affiliation was loose because the local Board of Trustees retained actual control of the college. The Alumni Association of the Medical Department of the University of Georgia was organized in 1891. In 1908, Abraham Flexner, a layman and staff member of the Carnegie Foundation, was selected to inspect medical colleges in the United States and Canada. He gave the Medical Department of the University of Georgia a less than favorable report when he visited Augusta on February 9, 1909. He basically recommended that the University of Georgia no longer be affiliated with the department, and the school should close its doors or move to Athens due to inadequate financial support and the tenuous affiliation with the university. After Dr. Joseph Allen's term expired in May 1910, the mantle was passed to Dr. William H. Doughty Jr., who helped the department redeem itself. On Jan. 18, 1950, the regents decided to make the medical school a separate and independent unit within the University System. The regents restored the name of Medical College of Georgia and changed the executive title from dean to president. History of the Medical College of Georgia http://www.lib.mcg.edu/history/1861-1876 (Retrieved May 26, 2009)
Class photograph of the Medical Department of the University of Georgia. MS 2438. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.